Boat capsizes in whale attack: 5 Killed, What happened to boat near Kaikoura after being hit by whale?

Boat capsizes in whale attack: 5 Killed, What happened to boat near Kaikoura after being hit by whale?

A fishing boat near Kaikoura carrying 11 bird enthusiasts capsized, resulting in the deaths of five people. Let’s examine the boat capsize occurrence at Kaikoura and its specific details.

Whale attacks boat near Kaikoura

Six additional people have been saved from a boat capsize since the early-morning disaster on Saturday in Goose Bay, south of the beach town. The 8.5-meter yacht did capsize after a collision, which was initially thought to have involved a whale, but police have not yet determined what exactly transpired.

Whale attacks boat near Kaikoura

According to the company’s website, it offers a variety of fishing adventures, and the skipper was highly knowledgeable. There were reportedly a lot of women over 50 on board the plane.

Authority report regarding Kaikoura whale attack

According to reports to the authorities, a whale is believed to have capsized the boat. This “unusual incident” has prompted a “huge response” from the general public, emergency services, and the Kaikoura maritime community, said Kaikoura Police Sergeant Matt Boyce. The police are assisting those involved in this regrettable act during this incredibly difficult time.

Kaikoura Mayor Craig Mackle was angry when he called it a “tragic incident that affects us all.” The sea was in “really, really” good shape, and there had been recent reports of seeing enormous whales.

The ship has been righted and is currently being towed back to port, according to Neroli Gold, the interim president of Kaikoura Coastguard. “Everyone concerned feels a true deep sadness when lives are lost, so our sympathies are with the victim’s family and friends,” she said.

Victims of Kaikoura whale attack incident

According to reports, a boat capsized in New Zealand after hitting a whale, leaving two passengers dead and three more missing.

Victims of Kaikoura whale attack incident

Six of the 11 passengers on board the boat were rescued early on Saturday morning close to the South Island town of Kaikoura, according to the news organisation Stuff.

Late on Saturday afternoon, as the first victim from the boat capsize began to be brought to land, police immediately cordoned off the area around the boat ramp at South Bay, which is located 3.7 kilometres south of Kaikoura.

A huge tourist passenger boat from Dolphin Encounter Kaikoura that was near to Goose Bay made the transfer possible. On board was a dive crew. Additionally present were Maritime New Zealand and Fire and Emergency NZ.

Police started an investigation on Whale hits boat near Kaikoura

Two investigators had been sent by Maritime NZ from Christchurch to Kaikoura, according to Tracy Phillips, head of the organization’s inquiry, who also expressed the organization’s “heartfelt apologies to the family and loved ones of the victims who have died in today’s accident.” No investigation would begin before the rescue and relief operations were finished.

According to Phillips, the police’s probe would be aided by a “thorough” investigation that was done in accordance with the Maritime Transport Act and the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Marine effort on Kaikoura incident

A thorough search was conducted all afternoon off the shore of Goose Bay as a result of the boat capsize. Rescue divers, Coast Guard volunteers, and a rescue aircraft were all called upon to aid in the rescue and recovery operations throughout the day.
The boat, which had been noticed earlier inverted in the water, was being pulled to shore by 4 o’clock. The bodies were found in the stateroom of the boat. Those on the shore south of Goose Bay gathered to see the boat being recovered and to hear any new developments. Everyone seems surprised, with one resident saying it seemed “like a crazy accident.”

The boat that had capsized was adjacent to a bigger, second boat, and a helicopter was flying overhead. The weather was calm, dry, and clear, and there wasn’t much breeze. An area fisherman who frequented the area said that on Saturday morning the sea was unusually silent.

What did mayor of Kaikoura confess?

A reporter on the scene said that the dive squad arrived at the area at 2 pm and looked to be searching near to the capsized boat. Craig Mackle, the mayor of Kaikoura, had earlier remarked that locals anxiously awaiting news had a “sick sensation.”

Mackle stated that many volunteers had assisted and that boats had been kept “to a minimum” in order to keep the rescue effort coordinated and to ensure that the slipway stayed clean.

It’s bad because you feel ill and it’s not good. Public access to the South Bay slipway was suspended until police responded. She claimed that the reports of what had occurred were vague. Local operators had gone to the location to see if they could help, she added, “There are a few fishing firms around here, we were trying to figure out who it was.”

Witness statement on Whale attacks boat near Kaikoura

Since 11 a.m., Vanessa Chapman and a few pals had been watching the spectacle from Goose Bay Lookout.
When they arrived at the bay, according to Chapman, they saw a boat on its side with a lone individual sitting on top flailing their arms. After that person had been saved, she believes they witnessed someone else being removed from the river as well.

Two Westpac rescue helicopters and a local helicopter circled it as they observed one “nearly land on the capsized boat and two divers rushed out.”

The witness stated, “After that, another local boat has pulled in, and we assume someone was put on that boat. He then shot straight into town, and the helicopters have just been searching.

She said it was hard to tell what kind of boat it was because it was upside down and from a distance looked like a dinghy. A waiting ambulance was in spite of the “completely serene,” “a small roll,” and “it’s crazy to believe someone has overturned their boat.”

New Zealand’s history of maritime disasters

When the fishing charter boat Enchanter capsized off North Cape in March 2022, five men perished.
Two guys perished in their boat after it capsized in Bluff Harbour in November 2021.

Three men perished in their boat’s capsize in Auckland’s Manukau Harbour in October 2021.
In June 2021, a man perished in the Bay of Plenty after his boat capsized when he was trying to negotiate the Kaituna Cut bar.

A 2-year-old child lost her life in April 2021 when the boat she was riding in capsized while attempting to cross the bar at the Taieri Mouth south of Dunedin.

Also read

Milo McIver State Park fire reached Level 2 & 3 Evacuations

Packwood to White Pass wildfire: US 12 closed, Fire spreads from 90 acres to 850 acres

Follow us on Twitter

News reporter and content manager

Leave a Comment